Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Colors Commentaries

A few more True Colors related anecdotes for you.

During the workshop, one of the Greens I supervise turned to me, pointed out his low Blue*, and said "You're my point of stress, boss." I informed him that, as a Blue, that hurt my feelings greatly, but since I was a peacemaker, I would forgive him.

Speaking of the "point of stress" idea, I did want to point out that, yes, people with the same color scheme as you can also be your point of stress; for example, Oranges tend to be very competitive and crave the spotlight, and can be very put out if another Orange threatens their status as center of attention.

As I mentioned in the previous post, pretty much every cubicle has their colors posted, generally following the standard we used when labeling ourselves for the workshop: four equally sized dots arranged left to right from highest color to lowest. Well, pretty much every cubicle in the two units dominated by traditional Golds; in the Blue/Green dominated Serials and Electronic Resources unit our colors are displayed a bit more creatively; one coworker has a bar graph showing her score on each; another has a donut graph doing the same; I stuck with the circles, but had them arranged vertically, not horizontally, and varied the size of each to demonstrate which colors were strongest; and, finally, one coworker broke out of the chart/graph box completely:


On the individual tests, I often come out showing slightly more Gold than Green, whereas when I read the personality descriptions themselves, the Green feels much stronger in me; I think that may be because so much of Gold behavior is learned behavior, and most of the Gold questions have to do with following rules, and I tend to follow the rules not because I think all rules are there for a reason as because my high Blue leads me to avoid conflict, and why rock the boat when you don't have to?

Zinger turned out to be low Blue, marking yet another good friend for whom I am a point of stress; he was also low Orange, which happens to be the highest color of his wife, Pooh-Bear. Of course, Pooh-Bear also scored a zero on Gold, and three guesses what Zinger's strongest color was . . .

Out of curiosity, I tried out some other online personality exams, particularly the ones associated with Meyers-Briggs style analysis; took five different tests, and got five totally different results, not a single one of which spoke to my true personality as much as True Colors did -- do with that what you will.


*The same Green remarked more than once that the color results were fitting for him because, quoth he, he has "all the emotion of a rock."

1 comments:

Bubblegum Tate said...

I'm so sad I didn't get in on this earlier as I've had to deal with this colors nonsense for years. My bosses at my old sales job swore by this thing, and it wasn't a half bad representation of how real people work. It is kind of interesting that they market this to the dockers-and-cubicles crowd as a way to get along in the office. It was sold to us as a way to know which type of person we were selling to so that we would know exactly which sales technique to use (read: lie to tell).

My own colors: Green and Orange trade places depending on the day (the first time I took the test, they were within a point of each other). Needless to say, my decision making process is interesting. Gold comes in a distant third with Blue scoring as low as a human can.

Sources of stress: My wife scores off the charts on Gold, close second was Blue and Green in a tie with Orange scoring as low as a human can. Its a wonder we don't smother each other in our sleep.