Tuesday, July 01, 2008

TV Tues - Face-plant!

Really not watching a lot of stuff on TV right now; need to run to Hulu.com and get all caught up on Burn Notice so I can start watching the new episodes. Never have watched, but lots of folks rave about it (including Li'l Random, who, as all good blog monkeys should know by now, shares a dark and twisty brain with yours truly) so I really need to give it a shot.

Ultimate Fighter
: I know the finale was a few weeks back, but I just wanted to say how pleased I was that Amir won it all; nice guy, funny, unassuming, self-deprecating, much more someone I would cheer for than the cocky C.B. This was probably one of the most entertaining seasons just for the coaches, really looking forward to seeing Rampage and Forest face off this Saturday.

MONDAYS

The Mole (ABC, 9:00):
Although I'm enjoying the revival of The Mole, it still isn't the same without Creepy Anderson as host; I miss Creepy Anderson.

The Middleman (ABC Family, 9:00): Love this show. I mean, come on; straight-laced super-hero and his more jaded side-kick fighting off mad scientists and comic book evil all while spewing out witty dialogue at a screwball-comedy pace? Love it, love it, love it. Sure, the fx are cheesy, and this is surely not for everyone, but as long as the quality of the scripts holds up, I will probably by buying this on DVD when it comes out. For now, if you're curious, you can check out the last couple of episodes online here.

TUESDAYS

Deadliest Catch
(Discover Channel, 8:00): Phil amazes me. Here he is, horrible health to begin with, then gets the crap knocked out of him in a storm, bruises if not out-and-out breaks his ribs, and still keeps puffing away on the cigarettes 24-7. "Yeah, I'm in pain *puffpuffpuff* can't really breathe *puffpuffpuff* thought it would get better but for some reason it keeps getting worse *puffpuffpuffhackcoughpuffpuffpuff* oh, look, now I'm coughing up blood *puffpuffpuff* anybody got a light?" Craziness, man, craziness.

Wipeout (ABC , 7:00): PigPen and I finally got around to watching the premiere episode of the new game-show Wipeout (a.k.a MXC Lite) and there are some pros and cons. to it.

  • Pro: get to see lots of people face-planting on the obstacles
  • Con: so far they seem to be picking the loudest, most annoying contestants possible
  • Pro: you get to see these loud and annoying contestants face-plant on the obstacles
  • Con: The commentary is really only funny about once every twenty "jokes"
  • Pro: The show can be just as enjoyable by muting the TV and making your own, much superior commentary as you watch contestants face-plant on the obstacles
  • Con: The first two stages are face-planting heaven, while the last two stages were much less devastating to player egos and thus much less enjoyable to watch
  • Pro: It looks like they may vary the third stage up a bit to allow more face-planting, and there's always hope that you'll get a really clumsy contestant who will totally humiliate themselves in the final found.
So, in the end, I think the Pros barely outweigh the cons . . . if nothing else we can just tape it, watch the first 30 minutes of face-planting glory, and then go about our lives without worrying about who won it all.

6 comments:

Diane said...

You need to watch "I survived a japanese game show." so funny!

http://abc.go.com/primetime/isurvivedajapanesegameshow/

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I do have the first episode on the same tape as Wipeout, but only had time to watch one of them last night.

Bubblegum Tate said...

The Middleman SHOULD be for everyone. Anybody who doesn't immediately love it actively hates joy and all good things in the world. They are the type of person who would kick a puppy for being too cute.

Goobygal said...

I agree. I LOVE The Middleman. Although this weeks ep was not quite as good as the first two IMHO. I describe the show as Pushing Daisies meets Men in Black.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I still haven't had a chance to see this week's ep, really need to get online and watch it after work today.

And very few things can compare to the first episode because, hey, gorillas with guns!

Goobygal said...

Really, the Succubii were my favorites! Each of the first two episodes had at least one moment when I guffawed.