Tuesday, March 11, 2008

An Odd Squodd Shared-Brain Moment, or "Zap Rowsdower and the Most Sensational Soda Pop in the Cosmic Universe!"

Last week it was Li'l Random's turn to pick a movie for The Odd Squodd Mostly-Regular, Dark and Twisty, Strange and Unusual, Off-Beat, Quirky, Movie Fest, and he selected the documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston, a film about an artist/musician whose creativity is often hampered by his mental instability. While discussing the film the next day, we realized we couldn't remember to what song Daniel had sung his proposed Mt. Dew advertising slogan. Last night, as I was getting ready to pop in a DVD, I saw the case for The Devil and Daniel Johnston and figured I should try to find the Mt. Dew song to quench my curiosity before I had to return the DVD-- I should have known all I really had to have done was searched YouTube:



Still, after having listened to the song a couple of times, I whipped out my cell phone to call Li'l Random and leave a voicemail message of me performing my cover version of "We Drink Mt. Dew." I figured I would get his voicemail because Li'l Random rarely answers his cell phone at the best of times, and he was actually out of town on business, making the odds of him answering a call even slimmer. So, imagine my surprise when Li'l Brother actually answered on the second ring. I said hi, and then proceeded to sing "We Drink Mt. Dew," after which I had to go and Google the song to remind us how the lyrics to the real song went, since all either of us could hear in our heads was the Johnston version -- we were both relieved to have the knowledge that it was sung to the tune of "Love Lifted Me" so that our respective curiosity wouldn't keep us both from slumber that evening.

Our conversation then turned to candidates for upcoming Odd Squodd Mostly-Regular, Dark and Twisty, Strange and Unusual, Off-Beat, Quirky, Movie Fest selections, and Li'l Random suggested that at some point we watch a good ol' B-movie and give it the full MST3K treatment, which then led us to discussing some of our favorite MST3K episodes, such as Mitchell and Manos: Hands of Fate. Li'l Random said "There was one that I always loved, but I don't remember what it was called, just that it had a kid they kept making fun of." I replied with "Well, one of my favorites was with this Canadian film with a supposed super-tough guy who was really kind of pudgy and trailer trash looking, his name was something weird like Growsdower or Rightsdower or . . ."

"I think that's it!" Li'l Random exclaimed, and we quickly confirmed that the first movie to pop into my head was indeed the film Li'l Random had been thinking of, further proof that we share the same brain.

Oh, and the name of the film was The Final Sacrifice and the name of the tough-guy was Rowsdower. Zap Rowsdower, to be precise.



Man, if they had that one on DVD I'd buy it in a heartbeat . . . and then invite Li'l Random over so we could watch it while drinking the best new greatest, the most fantastic, the most sensational soda pop in the cosmic universe, Mountain Dewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two may very well be two of the coolest beings on the planet. I want to marry one of you and have your babies, that way my children will have taste in movies in thier genes!