Tuesday, March 25, 2008

TV Tues - Ununravellable

Well, here we are, about 5 months after the Writers Strike began, and new episodes of stricken shows have started to appear just in time, as shows which had been stockpiled for the break, like Lost and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles run out of new material. Still not a lot out there for me to talk about, as most of the returning shows won't hit until next month, but some brief thoughts.

MONDAYS

The Big Bang Theory (CBS 7:00):
Still by far the best new sitcom of the season, last night's episode actually had me laughing out loud at a plot that revolved around what is usually one of my pet peeves: people lying and then trying desperately to maintain the lie. But whereas most shows have things spin out of control due to characters spouting off random bits of idiocy, this episode explores the methodology of a lying as viewed through the abnormal viewpoint of socially backward Sheldon, thus adding a new twist and avoiding the usual pitfalls. When Frasier would lie about his brother being gay to impress a girl, it made no sense; when Sheldon constructs a complex "ununravellable" [sic] back-story about his drug-addicted cousin, complete with Facebook page and confessional blog, it fits perfectly with his strange nature. Oh, and his rhythmic knocking on people's doors never failed to crack me up.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:30): Last week's St. Patrick's Day ep was a little weak, and I'm sure most people who watched it are suspecting that the girl Ted bumped into at the party and said "excuse me" to is going to turn out to be The Mother, but last night's ep with Sarah Chalke and Brittney Spears was a vast improvement. I'm sorry that Chalke won't be able to be on any more eps this season due to Scrubs commitments, but the fact that there are going to be even more episodes of Scrubs does take a bit of the sting out of the loss.

Two and a Half Men (CBS 8:00): The return of Rose to the States! Hallelujah! And she's just as crazy as ever, if not more so! I have to admit, I was half-expecting Charlie to wake up at the end to discover that Rose's plot was all some sort of fever dream, since the constant drugging of Charlie and Alan's ambivalence were a bit over-the-top, but in the end I'm glad it was all real, because it means Rose is back for good.

TUESDAYS

There's currently nothing on Tuesday nights that I watch; this is usually a good "catch up on Netflix" night for me.

WEDNESDAYS

I must admit, Wednesdays aren't much better, although there's occasionally a new batch of WEC fights on Versus, and if I remember its on I'll catch South Park.

THURSDAYS

Survivor (CBS 7:00): This has been such a strange season, with so many strong players getting voted out early, and couple of others leaving prematurely. I'm still bummed that Yau Man is gone.

Lost (ABC 8:00): I don't know about anybody else, but I am loving the new season of Lost; it's amazing how much of a difference knowing that they're moving into the endgame makes. I am really hoping that Danielle's gunshot wound wasn't fatal last week; not only because I've loved Mira Furlan ever since Babylon 5, but also because I really, really, really want to see a Danielle flashback that explains just what the heck happened when she first got to the island that made her kill off the rest of her crew. As for my feelings towards my former favorite character Locke, well, I think that can best be summed up by this comic strip.

Eli Stone (ABC 9:00): I haven't watched this since the first couple of episodes because Eli's freaking out over his visions and then having to explain them away made me horribly uncomfortable; I get the feeling from snippets I've seen that that aspect has tapered off now, but I've missed so many eps that if I ever decided to give it another whirl, I'm going to have to wait for the DVD.

FRIDAYS

Yeah, don't watch much on Fridays, either.

SATURDAYS

Ditto for Saturday, although the new Saturday morning Spider-Man cartoon shows promise.

SUNDAYS

For some reason, I've fallen far behind on my viewing of the Fox animated lineup; really need to do something about that.


1 comments:

Starrlett said...

We loved Eli Stone--we missed the first 1 or 2 episodes, but recorded the rest. The musical scenes are just so amazingly awesome, and I love that the show doesn't shy away from religion. It consistently brought laughs and really poignant/sad moments each week--I've rarely reacted so strongly to a show. The last few episodes didn't have musical scenes, which made them a little rougher, but I still enjoyed it, as it was building the drama edge.

I'd recommend checking it out.