Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Great Cola Debate: an Excerpt From The Boys of Benjiman Street

For your blogging enjoyment today I thought I'd treat you all to a snippet from last night's showing of the new ongoing performance piece which is taking a very small section Denton by storm: The Boys of Benjiman Street.

BEGIN SCENE

As we open, the three main characters return home from a co-ed softball doubleheader. THE ANTI-CAP'N heads upstairs to take a shower. CAP'N NEUROTIC heads to the living room and flops on the massive bean bag chair exhausted from a couple of hours of watching other people perform athletic feats. PIGPEN, covered in dirt from playing softball, heads into the kitchen, opening up the refrigerator to find several 12-packs of Coca-Cola Classic


PigPen: [hollering out to his two new roommates] Okay, who's the Coke drinker?

Cap'n N: [gets up from the massive bean bag chair in the living room and approaches the kitchen] That would be me

PigPen: [shaking his head sadly] We're going to have to train you to drink Dr. Pepper.

Cap'n N: [grimacing] Trust me, that's never going to happen. Dr. Pepper's the one thing I refuse to drink.

PigPen: [shocked] But Dr. Pepper has 23 flavors!

Cap'n N: [dryly] Yes, and they're all varying shades of "crap."

PigPen: [disgustedly] Coke is just all carbonation.

Cap'n N: [shrugs] And I like it that way.

PigPen: [still disgusted] Ugh. It tastes like copper pennies. Dirty copper pennies.

Cap'n N: [grins] And Dr. Pepper tastes like bad cough medicine.

Both shake their heads at the other's obstinacy and retreat to plan the next salvo in the Great Cola Debate of '06
END SCENE


This has been a brief excerpt from "The Boys of Benjiman Street," playing daily at the Benjiman Street Duplex in Denton. No two shows are exactly the same!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As better as the plastic bottles of Coca-Cola are Sally, I have to say that drinking Coca-Cola from a GLASS bottle is ten times better! I'm in agreeance wtih my faithful Cap'n leader here in that Coke cannot be replaced.

Scenerio: The Singles are all out to lunch after church at Applebee's.

Waiter: What would you like to drink?

Me: Coke

Waiter: *scribbles something on his paper*

a few minutes later
Waiter: *hands me a drink* Is Pepsi okay?

Me: No!

Have a Cluckity Cluck Cluck Day!

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I still prefer drinking from bottles rather than cans; however, over the years I've discovered that it's much easier for me to regulate my Coke intake if I buy in canned format.

And yes, I'd like the original bookmark, thank you. Sorry I didn't reply to your email, but with limited Internet time right now, if I don't get to respond to something immediately, I rarely remember to do so later.