Tuesday, October 30, 2007

TV Tues -Damaging Their Geek Cred

Monday, October 22

Chuck (NBC 7:00):
I'm hoping that this episode puts a rest to the "Chuck is standing everyone up and disappointing them" style of subplots, at least for a while; it's one of those storytelling tropes that I don't particularly enjoy. Outside of that (and the glaring absence of Captain Awesome), entertaining as usual.

Journeyman (NBC 9:00): Finally! Finally somebody actually witnessed him travel! And I don't care if it was just his little kid or not, I'm just happy that there is some external proof in the present that will maybe help him convince his wife to stop being such an [expletive deleted].

Tuesday, October 23

Reaper (CW 8:00):
Sadly, have absolutely nothing to say about this ep because I apparently set the VCR up incorrectly, and thus taped channel 8 (ABC and Dancing with the Stars result show) instead of channel 9. *sigh*

Wednesday, October 24

Pushing Daisies (ABC 7:00):
When Olive told Chuck's aunt to make a little birdhouse in her soul, I immediately thought "hey, they just referenced a They Might Be Giants song, how weird is that?" Of course, after the next commercial break we got to hear Olive and the aunt actually sing "Birdhouse in Your Soul," and I'm still trying to decide if that makes it more or less weird . . . I love Swoosie Kurtz as the more bitter aunt if for no other reason than she brings some much needed cynicism to the show. Oh, sure, Chi McBride brings it as well, but his comes across primarily as grumpiness at Chuck, while her demeanor is bleak and pessimistic in all things. Was also fun to see Jayma Mays (a.k.a. Hiro's doomed waitress girlfriend from season 1 of Heroes) as the very-Southern lighthouse keeper.

Private Practice (ABC 8:00): Once again, the doc from the big hospital is unnecessarily evil toward the private practice crew, taking me totally out of the show. Really, the only thing I truly enjoyed about this ep were the scenes revolving around Del and his midwifery rite of passage -- glad that Chris Lowell has found life after Veronica Mars.

Ultimate Fighter (Spike 9:00): I know I haven't been talking about UF much, but I have been watching it faithfully this season, just keep forgetting to post about it, mainly because I usually don't have much to say outside of that I really want Team Hughes to beat Team Serra just to spite Serra, but at this point I don't see it happening. Oh, and that Mac is a freak.

Thursday, October 25

My Name is Earl (NBC 7:00):
I liked the fact that they referenced the good ol' blood-thirsty Joy of season 1, and showed that while she still may be selfish and evil, she's not quite as evil.

30 Rock (NBC 7:30): Am I the only one disappointed we didn't get to actually see the Page-off?

Survivor (CBS 7:00): Of all of the times for them to attempt the "throw the challenge so you can use hidden immunity" stratagem *sigh* Oh, well, at least they got rid of annoying Sherea.

The Office (NBC 8:00): Loved Andy's inability to remember the end to the jingle, and Dwight's maniacal glee at realizing that Angela was still thinking of him when making out with Andy.

Scrubs (NBC 8:30): And so, the final season begins. I'm glad that Elliot and J.D. aren't getting back together (at least, not yet), and I have to admit, I kind of like watching angry, bitter Keith. I'm wondering how much longer Elizabeth Banks will stick around as Kim after the baby is born; I'm hoping a while, because I've loved her ever since Wet Hot American Summer and have felt that out of all of J.D.'s relationships she was the best overall fit.

Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00): So, the Gizzy cat is finally out of the bag; it's about time. While I've hated the whole storyline, I am glad that Izzy called Christina on her "closed circle" hypocrisy. Loved Bailey's glee at the prospect of the annual chainsaw pumpkin carving festival.

Monday, October 29

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:00):
Only a so-so episode; some nice lines here and there, but not one of their best efforts.

Big Bang Theory (CBS 7:30): Another funny ep, but I did have one minor complaint: Wolowitz's assertion that Koothrappali's costume was the actual Norse god Thor and not the Marvel comics equivalent rings false, for as any true geek knows, the Norse god Thor had red hair and a beard, and not the traditional long golden locks that were popularized by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby back in the day. Normally I probably wouldn't have pointed this out -- unless, y'know, it was a really slow blogging day -- but as the show makes a huge point about the literalism and obsessive nature of the four main geeks, I found this lapse in geekery slightly disappointing.

And, once again,

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E


Heroes (NBC 8:00): Bob's sudden change of heart after Mohinder's hissy fit rang false, but I'm not sure if it's part of a larger plot or just poor scripting. Only time will tell, I suppose. And, boy, that West sure is a bad influence on our Claire-Bear, isn't he?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you sad that House wasn't shown because of the World Series? Go Rockies!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJD2N2gvqw