Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TV Tues - Intervention

THE WEEK THAT WAS

TUESDAY, Oct 7

Privileged
(CW, 8:00): Don't know which bugged me more: Megan's over-the-top reaction to thinking that her sister stole something, or the fact that she was right and everyone (including her) now thinks she was wrong. I enjoy the show much more when it's her interacting with the girls and not her interacting with her family.

WEDNESDAY, Oct 8

Pushing Daisies
(ABC 7:00): Remember how last week I said that I keep going back and forth on this show? Well, after what was, to me, a disappointing season premiere, the second episode of the season knocked it clear out of the park. Laughed out loud many, many times throughout the episode, especially the crashed clown car gag; disappointed in myself for not seeing it coming, but the execution would have carried it regardless.

Private Practice (ABC 8:00): This one is kind of circling the drain for me; how long can my love for Cooper and Violet make me overlook the fact that I don't really care for any of the other characters all that much?

Ultimate Fighter (Spike, 9:00): Wow. Just . . . wow. Dana gives Junie a second chance, and he pretty much blows it immediately. What a tool.


THURSDAY, Oct 9

My Name is Earl
(NBC, 7:00): Not necessarily a big David Arquette fan in general, but thought he did a really good job in this one. Thought the extra junk in the trunk of his ex was a little over the top, and even thought it made me laugh when she first showed up, the sight gags that came after that kind of took me out of the show.

Kath and Kim (NBC, 7:30): No idea how well this captures the spirit of the original; all I know is that I may have laughed a total of twice in the entire episode, and spent the rest of the time wishing that the two main characters weren't no unlikable. Will probably give it another chance since I tend to just tape from 7 - 9 on NBC that night, but if there isn't a glimpse of more redeeming qualities in the leads in next week's episode, I'll probably just be fast-forwarding through it from now on.

Survivor: Gabon (CBS 7:00): Dagnabit! If they had waited one more week before switching up the tribes, most-annoying-cast-member G.C. would have been ousted; as it is, he's now suddenly in a majority in his tribe and will probably be around for a while. Curses!

The Office (NBC 8:00): Great episode, from Michale's tackle-hug of Jim at the beginning, to Holly and Michael's "Let's Get Ethical" dance, to Meredith's method of obtaining discounts and steak coupons to Jim's policing of Dwight's time thievery, which lead to the second best line of the episode: "Being this vigilant is exhausting. I may have to go home early." The best line of the episode? "Also, they're not your family. You've been cuckolded by a stronger, smarter male." Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00): The Chief bugged me this ep with his dismissal of Bailey's concerns; don't care how concerned he is about their standings, that's just stupid.

Life on Mars (ABC 9:00): I wound up watching the entirety of the BBC version before I tried out the American remake. The verdict? The BBC version is awesome to the awesometh power, and the American version is, well, very American, i.e. coarser and more violent. Which, considering how much Gene Hunt and crew liked to rough up their suspects in the British version is saying quite a bit, but I'm not just talking about fisticuffs; I'm talking about actions and attitude of the lead actor. The BBC Sam would have his explosions, true, but there was also an air or restraint around him; the American Sam, however, just radiates violent energy. Not exactly an improvement, in my opinion. My biggest question right now is this: will the American version have a variation of the Test Card F girl?

The Eleventh Hour (CBS 9:00): Oops, forgot to tape this. My bad.

MONDAY, Oct 13

Chuck (NBC 7:00): Taped, but have not yet watched.

Big Bang Theory (CBS 7:00) : Sheldon's attempts at a faux smile were definitely the highlight of the episode.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:30): By far the best episode of the season yet; the multiple interventions gag was great, as was Barney's old man gimmick. Many, many laugh out loud moments this time around, which have sadly been a bit lacking in the earlier eps.

Heroes (NBC 8:00): Why oh why couldn't Maya have gone ahead and bumped off Mohinder? Or, better yet, why couldn't Vortex Guy have popped up and sent the two of them both swirling off into oblivion? I had started to have some suspicions early on in the episode about the real power behind the return of Linderman, and was surprised to have my suspicions confirmed by the end of it.

Two and a Half Men (CBS 8:00): Just a so-so episode, although Alan's request for a gun ("Nothing fancy, I'll only be using it the once") and his girly screams at the end were fun.

My Own Worst Enemy (NBC 9:00): Interesting premise, but time will tell how well it can hold my interest.

THE WEEK TO COME

TUESDAY, Oct 14

The Mentalist (CBS, 8:00): This could be the make-or-break episode on whether the smugness of the main character veers more into charming or annoying.

Fringe (Fox, 8:00)

WEDNESDAY, Oct 15

Pushing Daisies
(ABC 7:00): Murder at the nunnery

Ultimate Fighter (Spike, 9:00): We get to see how badly Junie shoots himself in the foot.


THURSDAY, Oct 16

My Name is Earl
(NBC, 7:00): Earl takes Randy to cheerleading camp so that Randy's cheerleading dreams can come true; who can resist a plot like that?

Kath and Kim (NBC, 7:30)

Survivor: Gabon (CBS 7:00): Elephants attack the camp, and G.C. disappears right before a challenge; drama!

The Office (NBC 8:00): Michael has Dwight research birthing information to prepare for Jan's upcoming delivery; joy!

Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00)

Life on Mars (ABC 9:00): From the ads it looks like this episode co-opts the plot of the second episode of the British version, wherein Sam's "modern" policing leads to a tragedy that further ostracizes him from the other police. Of course, in the BBC version such ostracism was merely social, while in the ads for the American version it looks like Sam is getting the crap kicked out of him by a bunch of uniformed cops . . . yikes. Seriously, I want to give this show the benefit of the doubt, but right now the shadow of the British version is hard to shake

SATURDAY, Oct 18

UFC 89: Bisping vs. Leiben (Spike, 8:00): One of the rare times when a numbered UFC event is shown for free on cable and not via pay-per-view; this is due to the fight taking place in London, where it is pay-per-view. Some of the guys may be coming over to my place to watch this, or they may hold off until the next Saturday when UFC 90 takes place; all depends on which one fits their schedules better


MONDAY, Oct 20

Chuck (NBC 7:00): The gang goes to Sarah's high-school reunion on assignment.

Big Bang Theory (CBS 7:00) : Too bad they couldn't have aired this one last week; it's theme of the group holding an intervention for Sheldon over his fear of driving would have fit in well with last week's HIMYM

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:30): Stella and Ted must contend with exes

Heroes (NBC 8:00)

Two and a Half Men (CBS 8:00): Alicia Witt guest-stars as a former teacher of Jake turned stripper after a fling with Charlie; I wonder if this is the same teacher Jake mentioned in the previous episode? Anyway, if Witt-fan Bubblegum Tate still had cable, he'd be tuning in for sure.

My Own Worst Enemy (NBC 9:00)

1 comments:

Goobygal said...

Dude, are you not watching Sanctuary? I have to say Amanda Tapping does a mean British accent. Which was of course my favorite bit in HIMYM this week. Followed closely by Uber-Canadian.