Tuesday, October 07, 2008

TV Tues - Remakes On Parade

THE WEEK THAT WAS

WEDNESDAY, Oct 1

Pushing Daisies
(ABC 7:00): I still go back and forth on this show; there are moments when I love it, and moments when it just doesn't quite do it for me; the season premiere was, unfortunately, one of the latter.

Private Practice (ABC 8:00): If anyone out there was actually using my blog as a guide for what to watch when, I apologize for forgetting to mention the return of this spin-off, but there's a good reason for that; I didn't even realize that it was on, and only wound up seeing it because I let the VCR run while taping Pushing Daisies. There were quite a few character moments that I liked, but the overall sturm-und-drang of the "we're going broke!" storyline wore on me.

Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir (Spike, 9:00): The saran wrap prank was nice; I can get behind pranks that inconvenience folks but don't actually involve destruction of property or bodily fluids. Kind of sad that the huggy guy didn't get on Mir's team, although I think Nogueira's attitude is much less likely to crush the guy's soul, so I guess it all worked out for the best.

THURSDAY, Oct 2

My Name Is Earl (NBC 7:00, 7:30): Two great eps. Joy continues to be one of my favorite characters; all must fear the tiny pink Hulk! And Randy's shifting personalities with the hats was great, especially his attempts to sound sophisticated and British. And how can I not mention Joy being up to her elbows in Pigsquatch? Like I said last week, the show is definitely back on track.

Survivor: Gabon (CBS 7:00): The one thing that will occasionally frustrate me about Survivor is how the outcome of the immunity challenge will often be telegraphed by the editing leading up to the challenge; when most of the show is devoted to all of the bickering, maneuvering, and in-fighting in one tribe, you can pretty much guess that that's the tribe that's going to tribal council. A small complaint, on the whole, but it does remove a bit of the dramatic tension while watching the challenge.

SATURDAY, Oct 4

EliteXC: Heat (CBS 8:00): Think I've covered this one pretty extensively

MONDAY, Oct 6

Chuck (NBC 7:00): While I like the cloak and dagger aspects of the show, I tend to enjoy it the most at the moments when it focuses on the supporting cast; anytime the spotlight shines on Morgan, Anna, and/or Captain Awesome, it's going to be a good episode in my book.

Big Bang Theory (CBS 7:00) : Not sure which made me laugh more: Sheldon's attempts to comfort Penny ("There there"), Sheldon inadvertently making a date for himself, or the moment Penny realized she really had a problem. Although I gotta say, they're going to have to work a lot harder than that to make her appear unattractive.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:30): Barney's commitment to the knuckle bump -- priceless.

Heroes (NBC 8:00): Hopefully that exchange between Hiro and Ando will settle the whole distrust issue, which has been painful to watch; also hopefully as Peter tries to change the future, one of the things that will change is the fact that Mohinder survives that long. Seriously, I keep hoping the next catchphrase will be "Kill the horribly self-righteous yet unbearably hypocritical whiny scientist, save the world."

Two and a Half Men (CBS 8:00): Drunk Jake didn't quite live up to its potential, but Tasered Allan made up for it.

THE WEEK TO COME

TUESDAY, Oct 7

Privileged
(CW, 8:00): No Fringe or Mentalist this week, thanks to the debates, so it looks like this piece of escapism is my only option for escape from the dreary realities of an election year. Tonight's episode promises romantic hijinks aplenty.

WEDNESDAY, Oct 8

Pushing Daisies
(ABC 7:00): Murder at the circus; expect lots of clown-fear jokes.

Private Practice (ABC 8:00)

Ultimate Fighter (Spike, 9:00): Once again, some knucklehead is going to blow the opportunity of a life-time thanks to out of control behavior while drinking; will they never learn?

South Park (Comedy Central 9:00): It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack

THURSDAY, Oct 9

My Name is Earl
(NBC, 7:00): David Arquette guests as the latest person on Earl's list, while Joy buys a hand-gun; guess which of the two storylines I'm more interested in.

Kath and Kim (NBC, 7:30): New sitcom starring Selma Blair as a woman recently separated from her husband who is forced to move back in with her mom (Molly Shannon). Based on a popular Australian sitcom, I figure it's worth a shot.

Survivor: Gabon (CBS 7:00)

The Office (NBC 8:00): Michael + business ethics seminar = free-for-all

Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00): Derek moves in and tries to get Meredith to move everyone else out.

Life on Mars (ABC 9:00): The second American remake of a popular foreign series premiering tonight, this time a drama about a modern day cop who gets hit by a car and wakes up to find himself suddenly living life as a cop in the early 70s. I have unfortunately never had the privilege of seeing the much-lauded BBC original, but am definitely looking forward to sampling the remake with its off-beat premise.

The Eleventh Hour (CBS 9:00): The third and final American remake premiering tonight, this adaptation of the short-lived BBC follows a consultant to the FBI (Rufus Sewell) who is called in to deal with crimes based on abuses of science. I'm not totally sold on this one, if for no other reason than something in the creators' pledge that it will deal with "real science, not science fiction" smacks of "ripped from today's headlines!" style panic-pandering to me; plus, Rufus Sewell is just flat out creepy.

MONDAY, Oct 13

Chuck (NBC 7:00): The return of Bryce Larkin.

Big Bang Theory (CBS 7:00) : Raj makes a play for Penny? Is it a dream? A hoax? An imaginary story?

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:30): An engagement intervention.

Heroes (NBC 8:00)

Two and a Half Men (CBS 8:00): Charlie's romantic life causes difficulties for Alan; better known as "the same ol' same ol'." And yet, I'm still watching, so they've got to be doing something right. Right?

My Own Worst Enemy (NBC 9:00): Series premiere of the new action series starring Christian Slater as a secret agent whose cover identity is actually a totally new personality, and what happens when the walls between the two personalities begin to break down. Intriguing enough concept; curious to see how well it plays out.

0 comments: