Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Best Laid Plans of Mice and Monkeys . . .

I had every intention of starting up the blog again on January 1st, with a resolve to post something new every day . . . the fact that it's now almost a week later and I'm just now getting around to it probably doesn't surprise anyone who's been waiting on a new blog post from me since August.

It's strange looking at the numbers; in 2006 I wrote over 300 blog posts, in 2007 and 2008 that was fell below the 200 mark, and then in 2009 I wrote less than 30. Quite a drop off, I know, and there were plenty of reasons for that, but really what they all boiled down to was that 2009 was a year where I was lacking inspiration: inspiration in my blogging, inspiration in my teaching, inspiration in most anything and everything I did. I started to come out of that by the end of the year by forcing myself to partake in NaNoWriMo again -- yes, I met the word goal, but I still need to finish the novel itself -- but every time I'd sit down to write a blog post it would be like pulling teeth. I'm hoping to overcome this blogger's block the same way I made it through NaNoWriMo: by not obsessing over trying to find the perfect phrase and just accepting that sometimes getting words down on paper is enough.

With luck, this will last longer than every other time I've made this same resolution.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i get this sometimes, too. just, start blogging about random stuff that's going on. you know, computers blowing up at work, the people who start fighting over the computer, oh wait, that's my job. ummm.... maybe something about firefly? or v? or flashforward? umm.... i'm gonna go blog now.

Helen said...

Good luck. I completely understand. I went way downhill in the second year. I hope to at least maintain that but I'm going to have to try harder.

Helen said...

Way off topic but Buddy wanted me to tell you that a new movie called " The Cabin in the Woods" is coming out this spring. I figured you already knew about it but I told him months ago that I would tell you. Obligation fulfilled.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Helen, every time I see an article about "The Cabin in the Woods" I think of Buddy, and have been meaning to mention it to him for months as well. It's a Joss Whedon horror film that has a couple of Buffy/Angel cast members in it, so I've been looking forward to it even without the name connection.