Friday, July 21, 2006

It'd Roll All the Way Down to Fargo, North Dakota

A while back an email went out to all of the library employees announcing the upcoming staff development programs. The final program on the list: a staff hobby & talent show. Now, at the last talent show I decided to perform one of the three Competitive Speech pieces which had been burned into my brain forever, Roald Dahl's "Jack and the Beanstalk." It had been quite a success, and was the first time that many of my coworkers realized just how dramatic I could be (let alone mildly entertaining), so the temptation to perform again was strong . . . but then again, so was the fear of not living up to expectations. While trying to decide what to do (should I do one of my other high school speeches? Read from a short story? Read from a blog post?) I sent an email to the organizer to see what the time limit for individuals would be; after getting a noncommittal "it depends on how many sign up" answer, I promptly forgot about it until two days before the show, when the organizer emailed me to see if I was still interested, and if so, what I was planning to do. After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided to go ahead and do one of the two remaining pieces from high school.

In the end, there were only 5 of us participating, which was quite a downturn from last time, but apparently there were quite a few people who wanted to participate but just couldn't because of their schedules. We wound up with a primer on making jewelry; an exhibition of artwork; some samples of music composed by a co-worker; some examples of costumes designed for RenFaires; and me. I did a brief intro ("for those of you not familiar with competitive speech, it's where we did speeches . . . competitively") talking about how this was the only piece I'd ever taken 1st place with (that I can recall, anyway) and it was the first and last time I ever did a poetry piece at competition. I also cautioned that some people think the author is a little weird, but that that was perfectly understandable, since that was part of his name . . .

I then launched into my interpretive reading of "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota" by "Weird" Al Yankovic.

I got lots of compliments afterwards, as well as a couple of "Now, what was the author's name again?" questions. I suppose next year I could do the final member of the Competitve Speech triumvarte, but somehow I don't see "The October Game" going over quite as well . . .

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Oh yes, by all means do The October Game. I mean it is dramatic and the subject matter is so univeral that all who hear it are taken with it. And talk about the change in perception that your co workers would have. Start practicing now!!!!!

Redneck Diva said...

Ooh Ooh! I wanna play!! I wonder if I could throw one of my comp. speech pieces in amidst my daycare kids singing Itsy Bitsy Spider and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...

Hmm...maybe the ferris wheel monologue might be a bit too intense for preschoolers, though...