Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News

Saw the hand surgeon today. At first they thought there might be a chance that I didn't need surgery but after redoing my X-rays and seeing that my fractured bone had slid even further out of place on the joint than it was in the first X-ray, the doc decided that surgery was really my only viable option. So, tomorrow afternoon I go in for my pre-op check-up, and then a week from tomorrow I go in for an outpatient procedure; basically, they're going to try to insert a screw to connect the two pieces of bone which were fractured and put the whole thing back into its proper place. Squiggly has kindly volunteered to be my chauffeur the day of surgery, since I doubt I'll feel up to driving after having them slice my hand open and do all sorts of medical hoodoo to it while I'm still conscious -- just thinking about it gives me flashbacks to when I got my wisdom teeth cut out *shudder*. I'll probably be in a cast for the first nine days or so with only my thumb and index finger free, which should make typing lots of fun, huh? And for those who thought my handwriting couldn't get any worse, well, prepare to be proven wrong.

0 comments: