Sunday, June 11, 2006

Movie Mon. - Uwe Boll, You've Done It Again!

Very little going on in the way of movie watching this last week, partly due to my getting sucked into season 2 of Entourage and partly due to my spending the rest of my time actually reading for once. So, only got a few movies watched this past week; I need to step it up if I want to get my money's worth for my Netflix this month. Anyway, on to the (brief) reviews.

Flightplan: Jodie Foster loses her daughter on a plane, but nobody believes her. A better movie than I was expecting, to be honest; even though I like the cast, the premise itself never really clicked with me before I saw the film. After seeing it, I still think it's a bit far-fetched, but the tenacity of Jodie's character helps carry the film. An entertaining thriller, as long as you don't think about it too hard.

Hollow Man 2: You know, a lot of people look at Christian Slater as a poor man's Jack Nicholson, but not me; I've always seen him as more of a poor man's Kevin Bacon. So, it was hardly surprising to see the Slater had taken over Bacon's role in this poor man's sequel to the entertaining take on the "invisible man" trope. Although, perhaps that's being a bit harsh; the movie actually wasn't all that bad. Yes, the script could have used a bit of doctoring, and yes, both Biz-Z and I were distracted through the whole film by the fact that the lead actress looked like she part-giraffe, but as far as mindless SF thrillers go, I've seen worse. The invisibility effects were well done, and Peter Facinelli did a good job as usual. All in all, probably worth a rental if you liked the first one, but don't expect too much.

Bloodrayne: Latest video-game based cinematic trainwreck from the infamous Uwe Boll. Personally, I enjoyed this film more than I did his previous ones, but that's really not saying a whole heck of a lot. Lots of star power was thrown at this medieval vampire flick (Michael Madsen, Michelle Rodriguez, Billy Zane, Meat Loaf, Ben Kingsley) which I what I attribute it's increased enjoyability to, but not even that was enough to salvage this film from the gutters. Blame it on a muddled storyline; blame it on horrible fight choreography; blame it on the complete inability of the titular character to act and/or fight convincingly; blame it on the worst editing I've seen in ages; or, just save time, and blame it all on Uwe, since that's all tied up in his special Bizarro-midas touch.

0 comments: