Tuesday, June 20, 2006

TV Tues. - Can You Say "It's Rigged" Boys and Girls?

Watchable TV is still in short supply for those of us without HBO, FX or Bravo; thanks heavens for TV on DVD, eh?

Last Comic Standing: Remember how last week I had put forth the hope that there would be funnier acts in the second half of the selection round? Well, the good news it, there were; the bad news is, almost none of those acts were selected. As I watched them calling out the names of the finalists, the only thing that kept my jaw from hitting the floor was the fact that I needed it to help form the screams of "noooooooooooooooooooooo!" that issued forth when I realized that they had passed over Doug Benson, Josh McDermitt, and Nikki Payne for that black hole of comedy known as Stella; honestly, I find Buck Star more entertaining than her, and that's just sad. It's hard to deny that the contestants were picked more for what sort of drama they could bring to the house than for any real comedic talent, and that just ain't funny.

The Closer: It's the little things that make this show one of the best on the air, like watching the look on Brenda's face as all of her co-workers sample her mom's fudge while she abstains. Priceless. And it was nice to see Frances Sternhagen (best known as Cliff's mom on Cheers and Carter's grandma on E.R.) as Brenda's mom.

4 comments:

Redneck Diva said...

"...that black hole of comedy known as Stella..." - AMEN, brotha.

I nearly stood and applauded when they kicked her skanky, cranky rear out last night.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Oh, you don't know how happy that news makes me; haven't had a chance to watch last night's ep yet, but now that I know that Stella's a goner I can watch the tape with no worries.

Redneck Diva said...

OH NO!!!!! I spoiled that for you!! I am SO sorry!!!!

Cap'n Neurotic said...

No worries; when it comes to reality TV, I'm really not all that spoiler-phobic. Plus, knowing beforehand that the truly annoying person is a goner helps my grin and bear their annoying presence for the duration of the episode.

Now, if it had been a spoiler for Lost or 24 on the other hand . . .