Thursday, August 03, 2006

Doggone? Not quite, but almost.

As I was leaving the house for work this morning I happened to catch something out of the corner of my eye which looked suspiciously like two dogs running around sans supervision several houses down. Not surprisingly, this caught my attention, as “strange dogs running wild on the streets” is one of the triggers for my personal form of dog-fear. However, as I looked at the two dogs cavorting in a neighbor’s yard, I thought to myself, "Boy, those look a lot like Sam and Jake . . . Oh, crap." I hollered out "Sam!" and sure enough, the larger dog's ears perked up, looked at me, and came a running, with the puppy hot on his heels. I shepherded them into the back yard which is when I figured out how they'd gotten out. Apparently the workers who had been there yesterday to pour some concrete for the back porch had neglected to securely fasten the gate and the rambunctious dogs had somehow sensed their window of opportunity and took it. I have no clue how long they'd been out and about, and if I hadn't been running later than I'd planned I might never have seen them at all. So, I guess hitting the snooze button actually worked in my favor for once.

0 comments: