Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

Welcome to 2007, my faithful blog monkeys. I apologize for the extended hiatus, but most of my Christmas break was spent with me either on the road, hopped up on Dayquill/Nyquill, sucked into the latest Steven King novel, obsessively watching the first two seasons of Boston Legal, or making a fool of myself on the dance floor*, none of which were really conducive to the blogging mentality. Plus, this just happens to be my 500th post, and I kind of wanted to do something special for it; I have since decided that that was a silly idea, and am now just getting the semi-milestone out of the way so it won't clog up the blogging any more than it already has.

I'm currently trying to decide how I want to spend my last two days of freedom before I have to return to work. Originally it was going to be just one day of freedom, but I got the word that UNT is closing on Tuesday for the national day of mourning for President Ford, so I get an extra day of sitting around doing nothing. I had thought about going to the movies, but to be honest, there's not much on right now that I'm all that jazzed about seeing. Or, at least, nothing that's playing in Denton that I'm jazzed enough to go see by myself, and nothing in the surrounding towns that's really worth the price of gas to drive there alone, although Dreamgirls is tempting. Now, if Pan's Labyrinth were actually playing anywhere close, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but alas, it won't even be hitting the Angelika in Plano until the 12th.

Basically, I'm bored, in that horrible "I want to do something, but have no idea what" sort of way. I'm actually at the point where I'm considering *gasp* working out all by my lonesome.

Shocking, I know.

Now, I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions; I know myself well enough to know that trying to make a change in myself for no other reason than to commemorate moving to a new calendar year would never last. However, I am currently heavier than I have ever been in my life, and I desperately need to do something about it before I slip any further down that slope. So, I'm going to take this opportunity to attempt a change in my eating habits, as well as a change in my "sitting around on my butt doing nothing" habits. The latter will be easier to do, especially with Taskmasters Shack-Fu and Li'l Dill pushing me, but the former is going to be a struggle. Not an impossible one, of course -- I've done it before -- but by no means an easy one for a junk food junkie such as myself. My family is full of comfort eaters; when the going gets tough, we get going to the store for a coke and some peanut M&Ms.

Anyway, here's hoping that by the time 2008 rolls around I'll be much thinner, in much better shape, and much more regular in my blogging.

But I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them if I were you.


*Well, "dance floor" is too generous a term, but more on that later.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never met anybody that eats more junk food than you nor a pickier eater. I look forward to seeing the new you. This time next year you will be writing your blog as you dip your carrot stick in spinach, garlic, and vegetable dip. (I'm eating crackers and cheese right now and that's the recipe on the back.)