Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thinking-out-loud Thursdays Phase 1

Let's see, I believe I promised that today's entry would bring "a glimpse into my fevered mind and its neurotic processes." Hmm, where to begin, where to begin . . .

At first glance the theme of "Thinking-out-loud Thursdays" might seem to be at odds with the pop culture laden themes of the rest of the week, a hastily cobbled together idea born out of a need to conform to some arbitrary alliterative affectation. But on second glance, well, yeah, that's exactly what it is.

When I was first contemplating the nature of my blog, I realized early on that it would have to focus more on reviews and such than my everyday life because (a) my life's not that exciting, (b) after the now infamous "sending an ICQ about a person TO that person" incident, I'm a bit gun-shy, and (c) my life's really, REALLY not that exciting. While trying to decide how I would structure my posts, the idea of daily, alliterative themes popped into my head. I toyed around with several iterations, and was planning on launching the blog with the slightly different tags of Music Mondays and Theatrical Thursdays, when I realized something very important: I don't have that much to say about music.

Now, those of you who know me might be prepared to quibble with that last statement, knowing me as the type of person who can't help bursting into song at the slightest provocation. And while I do have to have music playing at all times at work, and am easily susceptible to trigger phrases and endless musical mental loops, I doubt that a weekly post consisting of statements such as "Co-worker used the phrase 'It's been a while' earlier and have now had the Staind song stuck in my head for the last 8 hours," or "You know that new Beck song? Um, it’s, like, good, and stuff," would be very entertaining.

So, without Music on Mondays, it seemed pretty evident that Movies would be the perfect fit, especially since I do most of my movie viewing on weekends. But that left a gaping hole in my Thursday schedule. I toyed with keeping the Theatrical theme, but decided it would be a bit redundant. Thus began the mind-straining quest to figure out what the heck my Thursdays would be about.

"But oh great and wonderful Head Monkey Todd," I can hear you ask yourself (with that exact honorific, don’t try to deny it, the voices in my head don’t lie!), "why not just abandon the needless, meaningless and, to be perfectly honest, painfully contrived alliterative structure and just write whatever strikes you at the time? Please enlighten us, oh noble one!" Well, since you asked so nicely, I'll let you in on a secret: I had no choice.

Over the years, I've given a few of my old college roommates a hard time about being obsessive compulsive with their board games, video games, Fantasy Football, etc., but it's all been just a clever ruse to distract them from my own borderline-OCD tendencies. There are times when an idea gets into my head, and I become bound and determined to carry that idea out no matter how ludicrous, impossible, or embarrassing the idea promises to be.

  • Exhibit A: My Infinite Monkey webpage which went light years beyond what was required by the assignment.
  • Exhibit B: the list I tried to compile of every book I've ever read, at the suggestion of one of the aforementioned roomies.
  • Exhibit C:[omitted to prevent further embarrassment, but trust me, it’s a doozy!]

Anyhoo, once the idea of daily alliterative themes was in my head, I couldn’t banish it. After quite a bit of hemming and hawing, I did the only sensible thing: I got out my dictionary and began to skim through the "th"s. And while some interesting words caught my eye (Thematic Thursdays? Theoretical Thursdays? Thrombolytic Thursdays?), I eventually decided to just make Thursday the target day for my wild, random ramblings. Hence, Thinking-out-loud Thursdays. However, now that I’ve satiated my initial compulsion, I think I can begin to bend the rules a bit, and perhaps institute a bit of a rotating “th” schedule. After all, how can I, in good conscience, let a little borderline-OCD get in the way of providing you, my adoring public, with the extreme joy of experiencing Thingamabobber Thursdays? That would just be wrong.

1 comments:

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Woo-hoo, my first random-user comment!

Nice to meet ya, veronika