Friday, January 13, 2006

Go On, I Dare Ya!

One of my favorite things on the TV show Ed was the running joke of "I'll give you ten bucks to [insert absurd dare here]" Outisde of the general amusement factor, a large part of what I liked about it was that it reminded me of my college years. In particular, it reminded me of Dr. G'ovich, who often indulged in his function of "devil on the shoulder" to dare or bet others into questionable activities. For a while he and The Old Man did a variation on the Ed thing, only at a much cheaper rate; I believe their bets were $1, although they may have gone as high as $2. The only one I remember distinctly was one that The Old Man balked at; the Doc had offered him a buck or two if he would stand up on the table in the lobby, drop his pants, and sing "I'm a Little Teapot." The Old Man refused; he had no problems with getting up on the table and dropping his pants; no, it was the song he objected to. Not singing in general, but that song in particular; he wouldn't even sing it if he'd been able to keep his pants on. Some people.

0 comments: