Thursday, March 23, 2006

Soundtrack of My Life v.2: Canciones de Coronela

If my exposure to different types of music increased in high school, it practically exploded when I went to college, thanks to access to MTV, alternative radio stations, and the CD collections of my friends and roomies. While my associations with songs in High School were primarily tied to events, most of my college associations are tied more closely with people.

I probably associate more songs with Coronela than anyone else, which is mainly due to the fact that she tends to associate with songs very strongly, not always positively.


Some of the highlights include:

"From a Distance" by Bette Middler: Coronela hated this song with a passion, a fact that Rudy and I would use to torment her by working the title phrase into our conversations:
"Hey, Rudy, from a distance, that looks like G'ovich walking across the lawn"
"You know, Cap'n, from a distance, you're right."
These exchanges usually ended with Coronela threatening us with great bodily harm.

"Stay" by Lisa Loeb: I remember hearing this song for the first time while The Clique was hanging out in the Parker Hall Council office. Coronela was playing her Reality Bites soundtrack, and when this song started she exclaimed how much she liked it. As I started to listen to the lyrics, I could see why; Loeb had perfectly captured some of Coronela's recent relationship experiences.

"Devil Went Down to Georgia": Another song Coronela hated with a passion, which, of course, was also used to torture her; I remember one time when Flunky insisted on singing the entire song while we were eating at Shortcakes, despite Coronela's constant begging for him to stop. Sometimes I wonder why she kept hanging out with us . . .

"100% Pure Love" by Crystal Waters: Coronela used to sing a snippet of this song to one of the guys in the dorm, substituting his name for one of the lyrics. To this day, I can't hear the song without hearing her voice in my head: "I'm gonna get you Robert, I'm gonna get you, yes I am!"

"Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg: Coronela would constantly break into the opening lines of this early Snoop song; subsequently, everytime I hear the song, it's a duet, with Snoop on the radio/CD and Coronela in my head: "With so much drama in the L-B-C, kinda hard bein' Snoop D-O-double-G". Related story: when Snoop's "What's My Name" first came out, Coronela would go around constantly saying "You don't love me, you just love my doggie style," up until the day she say Wild Orchids and found out what that really meant.

"I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meat Loaf: The time: October, 1993, Freshman year of college. The setting: Parker Halloween Dance. The action: swept up in the power and majesty of Meat Loaf's epic love song, Coronela and I were moved to put on our own little floor show, performing an impromptu lip-synch performance. So, 'til the end of time, whenever I hear this song, I shall instantly picture Coronela in tattered brown rags, covered in "dirt" with wild, teased-out hair . . . which instantly makes me think of her wild dancing later on in the evening where she was head banging, banged her head the floor, knocked herself silly, and tried to crawl under a chair to recover.

Good times, good times.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

great memories, all those songs. however, instead of crystal waters, the song really is "i'm gonna get you" by bizarre inc. i've actually always hated that crystal waters song "100% pure love"