Friday, March 10, 2006

Tag, I'm It!

There's a little game of "Tag" going on in the blogosphere; Redneck Diva tagged several people including another former Wyandottian, who posted that she didn't know who else to tag. I, out of a spirit of friendliness and generosity, and not at all out of a need for attention and validation, posted the comment "Ooo, ooo, tag me, tag me!" And it's a good thing I didn't do it for validation, since her response was to tag me, but with the disclaimer that I was some guy she didn't know. It only took a couple of hints for her to recognize me, though, so I don't have to slip into full-on Cap'n Cellophane mode.

As for the Tag, the conditions are simple: "List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they're listening to."

What songs are on Cap'n Neurotic's playlist right now?

This would be a lot easier if I actually listened to the radio or watched videos regularly; as it is, I'm pretty much a slave to CDs and whatever was playing in the latest movie I've seen. For several of my recent CD purchases I'd have a hard time picking one song over another: which is the better Franz Ferdinand song, "The Fallen" or "Do You Want To?" Which Hot Hot Heat song is catchier, "Running Out" or "You Owe Me?" Faced with such decisions, I decided to pull my seven songs not from things that have made me go "ooo, cool" when I heard them, but songs which have recently popped into my head, compelling me to get out the appropriate CD so I could hear them.

1. "I Hate Music" by Andrew Paul Woodworth: I like APW's first solo CD quite a bit, but its title track is definitely my favorite song (although his cover of the Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right to Party" is pretty interesting).

2. "DARE" by Gorillaz: Demon Days is a great CD, but the uber-catchy "DARE" is my favorite song by far. One of those tunes that gets me dancing in my seat whenever I hear it.

3. "Lotion" by The Greenskeepers: A song based on one of the most memorable lines from Silence of the Lambs? How can I not love it?

4. "Love to Hate You" by Erasure: Don't know if my fondness for this song is linked more to the song itself, or to its felicitous timing during Big Deck Bunny's E.R.S. domination, but either way, it's in my head for good now.

5. "Lover Call" by Danko Jones: One of the songs I discovered recently thanks to Zinger, and which will periodically pop into my head.

6. "16 Military Wives" by The Decemberists: Another song courtesy of Zinger that has made its way into the regular concert playing in my head.

7. "Mary Jane/Mary Lane" from Reefer Madness: The Musical: Having just ordered the newly-available DVD from Columbia House to fulfill my commitment, I've had several of the Reefer Madness songs stuck in my head, but this one is by far in the lead. Once again, I lament the lack of a CD for this movie.

I shall tag:
Bubblegum Tate & Andrea (two tags, one blog)
iamam
Rocket G'ovich
The Squatch
Rebel Monkey
and . . . dang, that's just about every blogger I know who hasn't already been tagged. So, I guess my seventh person shall be . . . Zinger Stoneheart! No, he doesn’t have a blog, but he's probably my best source for new music outside of Rebel Monkey, so I'm curious to see what he's listening to. Comment away, Zinger my man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'll bite. Most are courtesy of XM Radio channel 47. You probably know of most of them already.

1. "Nth Degree" - Morningwood
2. "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys
3. "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" - Panic! At The Disco
4. "The Denial Twist" - The White Stripes
5. "Jesus Walks" - Kanye West (that one's for you, Todd)
6. "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" - Panic! At The Disco
7. "DARE" - Gorillaz

Cap'n Neurotic said...

If I were to get tagged today, then "Nth Degree" would definitely make my list.

M-O
M-O-R
M-O-R-N-I-N-G
W-O-O-D