Tuesday, October 03, 2006

TV Tues - Dude, I Full on Swayze'd That Mother

Due to circumstances beyond my control, we are currently without cable. Much messing about with antenna enabled us to watch some really fuzzy TV last night, but taping of other channels was curtailed. Consequently, the TV reportage will be slim today.

I'll keep the day-by-day set-up, but now I'll only be underlining the titles of shows are new to the list, not new this season.

**Wednesday**

Bones (Fox 7:00): Wow, Booth is a man-slut; who knew? I called the involvement of the receptionist thanks to my Zeljko Ivanek Theory, having recognized her from roles on Nip/Tuck, Jack & Bobby, CSI and (heaven help me), The Help.

**Thursday**

Survivor (CBS 7:00): All I want to know at this point is if Yul gave Becky the immunity idol before tribal council or not. Well, that, and just how much longer before Jonathan discovers he's not nearly as smooth as he thinks he is.

My Name is Earl (NBC 7:00): Jump around! Jump around! Jump up, jump up and get down!

The Office (NBC 7:30): I like the fact that they occasionally show Michael doing something right on the job, just so that he's not a total joke.

Ugly Betty (ABC 7:00): New series based on the immensely popular telenovela Yo soy Betty, la fea about a bright, though socially awkward, girl (America Ferrera) who is hired by a magazine mogul as an assistant for the new editor of a high powered fashion magazine (Eric Mabius) for one reason: she's so unattractive that the editor won't want to sleep with her. Likeable cast helps keep this glossy night time soap engaging; time will tell how long they can sustain the premise.

Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00): I'm thankful the Derek/Addison relationship is finally over, if for no other reason than I hated seeing Addison being yanked around.

Supernatural (CW 8:00): Very glad to have the Winchester brothers back. Favorite line of the episode had to be Dean's Ghost reference after pulling a poltergeist on the paper cup. The big question now is, just how many shows is Jeffrey Dean Morgan going to have to die on? First he croaks on Grey's Anatomy and now here; he's becoming the go-to tragic death guy. Not quite sure that's how I'd like to get typecast.

**Monday**

The Class (CBS 7:00): Three episodes in, and I'm now officially hooked. The cast and crew have started to find their groove in terms of character and timing, and I laughed out loud several times over the course of the episode. I like that they're not making Jason Ritter's character totally naive, as evidenced by the naughty note. Kat is still my favorite character, but my favorite part of the episode had to be Holly getting nailed by the stop sign. I don't care how low of a slapstick tolerance you have, people getting plowed into by large metal objects: always funny.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:30): If I had been writing this episode, at the point where you discover the reason that Ted is telling this story to his kids is because of how his parents were, I would have cut to the kids on the couch cursing their grandparents furiously. But, that's just me.

Heroes (NBC 8:00): The show needs to pick up the pace just a tad, or else I'm afraid it's going to suffer from Invasion syndrome and start hemorrhaging viewers. I don't mean they need to start answering questions, but they at least need to keep things moving. Last night's ep was a bit of a stall-out after the first one. Still, all the Hiro scenes were great, and I was glad to see long-time favorites Greg Gunberg and Clea Duvall popping up. Right now the biggest question I have is what the heck is up with Ali Larter? I mean, is schizoid behavior really a super power?

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (NBC 9:00): Last night's episode wasn't quite as strong as the first two, comedically speaking, although it still had some great moments. My favorites were Harriet doing her great Holly Hunter impression and the realization that although the power was off throughout the building, the infamous clock was still running; was a little sad nobody made mention of that fact. I thought the fast-forward through bits of sketches was an interesting idea, but let's hope they don't make that a regular thing, since it kind of ground the show itself to a halt.


**UPCOMING SEASON PREMIERES**

Tonight: Veronica Mars (CW 8:00)
Friday Night Lights (NBC 7:00)
Wednesday: Lost (ABC 8:00)
The Nine (ABC 9:00)
Friday: Battlestar Gallactica (Sci-FI 8:00)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Gilmore Girls!

Have a Cluckity Cluck Cluck Day!

Bubblegum Tate said...

I know absolutely nothing about her and after a quick search on IMDB I don't think she'll be living up to her name's potential, but America Ferrera is the greatest female super-spy name since Emma Peel.

Why in the name of heaven am I not thrilling to the weekly adventures of America Ferrera, Woman from K.I.C.K. A.S.S. on television or her monthly four-color escapades at my local comic book store? SERIOUSLY!

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Cluckity - last week's "What I Watched Wednesday" threw my reviews off a bit, but rest assured, last night's GG will be covered next Tuesday.

Tate - I think you've stumbled onto something here.