Friday, June 15, 2007

Fragmented Friday - Slow News Day

As you may have surmised, I did manage to survive my first week of karate class. While I was not the quickest study among the four first time students (that, of course, was PigPen), neither was I the slowest study. Of course, I'm still not sure if our instructor didn't say much to me because I was doing everything correctly, or because I was doing everything less incorrectly than others.

On Wednesday night, the Cap'n Bumper sponsored softball team Last Place finally lived up to his goal for the name to be highly ironic, as they totally demolished any and all competition to take first place in their league, winning the championship game 15-0. And now, they can take a much deserved break until the next round of softball starts . . . next week.

My mood has been all over the place the last week or so, thanks to somebody's totally innocent comment reverberating with one of those deep-seated complexes which trigger my self-consciousness and self-doubt and self-loathing and self-[insert negative action here]. The worst thing about those moments is that I know the person didn't mean anything by their comment, and I know that I shouldn't let it bother me, and yet, the downward spiral defies all logic. Luckily, I have good friends who are more than willing to slap me upside the head* and drag me kicking and screaming out of my funk.

I'm actually pretty happy with my entry for the latest round of Write in the Thick of It, all things considered. I actually got my initial draft done by Friday, and when I went back for a round of revision I wound up changing very little. Now, I'm sure if I were to revisit it in a week or so I would find all sorts of clunky phrasings and shallow character moments that will set my teeth on edge and make me wonder how in the world I could submit such slop, but until then, I'm happy. Diva should have this round's entries (which include one from first time contributor Maverick) posted sometime today.


*For once, the head-slapping was not courtesy of PigPen, who was fortunate enough to be out of state or otherwise occupied through most of this round of the roller coaster ride that is my mental state.

0 comments: