Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"Ohhhh, in-X-s!" The Cap'n Neurotic Cheet Sheet Parkerite Edition

Continuing with our tour of jokes, references, and random phrases that haunt me, we shall now move into the Parker years.

To start off, I'm going to focus on the more general phrases before heading into the vast abyss known as "things Zinger and I quote all the time much to the consternation of others." This is by no means an exhaustive list, just the ones that sprang to mind the easiest.

Blasphemer! I honestly have no idea where this came from, whether I was channeling a movie, TV show, random person, or what; all I know is, for a good portion of my Freshman year, anytime anyone would make a remark denigrating something I liked (e.g. "I hate coke, Dr. Pepper's the best"), said remark would be greeted without my outstretched arm pointing accusingly while I bellowed at them in an exaggerated tone.

Stop. Stop. Please stop. This one is courtesy of Flunky, who was mimicking a former school official of his who would recite the phrase is a nasal, rhythmic near-monotone. Others of us adopted it as well.

Yah, anyvay This one came from Wrath teh Berzerkr; his parents hosted a foreign exchange student who would say the phrase all the time. Wrath and his sister began imitating it, and it eventually spread to the group.

Bing-bing-bing! During my Sophomore year there was a girl in the dorm who seemed to be with a different guy every other day; a comment about how much she bounced from guy to guy coupled with seeing an episode of the old cartoon "Ricochet Rabbit," led to Ricochet's signature cry "bing-bing-bing!" being added to our repertoire; sort of the Parker version of "'Tis a pity."

No, YOU played college basketball? One of the defining moments of Little Man Stud's time among the Parkerites came at an OSU football game where he expressed disbelief at the news that a certain, shall we say, diminutive dorm resident played college basketball; it wasn't the disbelief itself that stood out so much as the constant repetition of the disbelief. The phrase itself was often used in response to statements of disbelief from LMS and others.

Ohhhh, IN-X-S At some point during our college career, Wrath had a breakthrough when he realized that the name of the band INXS was actually a play on the phrase "in excess"; this became a phrase used when someone was a little slow on the uptake.

Two shiny dimes! This came from a story Dr. G'ovich told about an old guy in a nursing home offering the Doc a princely sum of two shiny dimes to help spring the guy.

Another nacho in his bag Take one Parker resident's complaint that all she was to a certain Eeeeeeeeevil Parkerite was another notch in his belt; add Coronela's mishearing of the complaint; mix well; serve.

Man oh man I hate them fancy lads This quote from Cabin Boy was used by David Letterman in reference to Chris Elliot's character; we appropriated it and used it as a reference to all of the frat boys around.

This brings us to the dreaded realm of TV & Movie Quotes. Since many of the following are either (a) self-explanatory or (b) do not easily fit into any firm usage rules, I'm just going to group them by their source. Trust me, this is just the tip of the iceberg, my blog-monkeys, just the tip of the iceberg.

Airplane
The fog's getting thicker. And Leon's getting laaaaaaaaaaaaaaarger.


Friday
Puff puff give! You're messing up the rotation!

Greg the Bunny
A'ight! (note: pronounced "ah-ig-it" not "ah-ite")

Major Payne
I oughta change my name to Pimp-daddy Payne
Killin' is my business, ladies, and business is good!
Chuuuuuuuugga-chugga-chugga-chugga, toot toot!
I guess I better dig a little deeper into my repertoire.


MTV's The State
Go go go go go!
Rosemary!
Los Estados Unidos


The Sandlot
You're killing me, Smalls!

Super Troopers
Littering and . . . littering and . . . littering and . . . smoking the reefer.
Shenanigans!


UHF
Something blue, something bluuuuuuu-uuuuuuuuue
Roadmaps!
Are you ready Weaver?
Red Snapper, very tasty!

and, of course, the quote that got me some blank stares from The Singles recently:
Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Stupid! You! So! Stupid!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a related note, Pooh just got her old Apple back. If you're lucky, maybe the recordings of you guys saying things like "Stop. Stop. Please stop." and "Six in the mornin'" are still on there.

Or maybe Wendy and I were smart enough to delete those off before giving it to her cousin years ago.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Man, we had way too much fun with the microphone on her Mac. I rememberd the "Stop" thing being on there, but had forgotten about "six in the mornin." Trying to remember what else we had; only ones that spring to mind are Flunky saying "My alpha and delta waves are at peak cycles" and a cautionary message to Coronela and Pooh to study lest they be forced to attend TJC and Rose State. Oh, and maybe Coronela saying her patented "you'se scared!"

Anonymous said...

I use the Blasphemer! thing a lot myself. Usually loudly & publicly. Must go back a ways....