Tuesday, May 09, 2006

TV Tues - No, That Sounds Like Monkey Testing; People Will Picket!

Looks like Blogger has briefly resolved its server problems, so I guess I'd better get this posted before it all comes crashing down again.

It's season/series finale time: Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars tonight, super-sized My Name is Earl and The Office on Thursday, Survivor and West Wing on Sunday, Prison Break and How I Met Your Mother on Monday, and a special two-part Grey's Anatomy on Sunday and Monday.

Still three more episode of Lost, though; plenty of time for them to wrap up some mysteries and unveil tons of others.

On to my pellet reviews.

Gilmore Girls: Will next year's creative crew be able to come up with things like Emily's fear that a Rory Gilmore Medical Research Center would attract monkey-loving protestors or Michel's 2% milk inspired calisthenics? I sure hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm also not holding my breath over tonight's season finale not making me want to vomit and/or fly into a violent rage; I'm very afraid that, for once, the WB ads aren't misleading.

Veronica Mars: Okay, did not see Woody's secret coming at all; good show, Rob Thomas, good show. I'm sure there's got to be at least one more twist in tonight's finale; danged if I know what it'll be.

Lost: Man, Jack's dad sure do get around, don't he? I sort of saw Michael's brainwashy behavior coming, but more in a general "think they've fraked with his head" way than in a "oh, he's going to bump off a couple of drunkards" way.

Invasion: Any frustrations I had over the usual stupid character moments were totally wiped away by Sheriff Tom's decision to crash his car to wipe out the bad guy; very cool.

Amazing Race: It sure is getting ugly out there, isn't it?

Top Chef: Boy, I hated to see LeeAnn go; was pulling for her to win.

Survivor: Terry is practically a force of nature at this point; if he makes it to the final two (which I'm hoping he does) it will be interesting to see which is more powerful: the jury's dislike of him for his "cocky" attitude, or their hurt feelings from being stabbed in the back by their former tribe members.

Supernatural: I was enjoying the season finale up until the cliffhanger; while maybe not quite as gratuitous as last season's Alias car crash cliffhanger, it couldn't help but be hurt by following so close on its heels.

Everwood: No show can tug at my heartstrings as consistently as Everwood, and last night's episode was no exception: Hannah's meltdown, Reid's cry for help, Harold and Bright actually having a moment, etc. all combined to make yet another "excuse me, I think I have something in my eye" episode.

Prison Break: I really question the workability of the elevator aspect of the plan, but I was just so ready for them to finally make it over the prison walls, that I was willing to accept just about anything that helped make it happen.

Apprentice: Was soooooooo disappointed that the women won but, to be honest, at this point I don't really care who wins; I'd prefer it not be Allie, but as for the others, it's down to choosing the lesser of 4 boredoms.

SPOILER SPACE FOR 24

24: Nooooooo!!!!!! So close! We were so close to not having to deal with the weasel anymore; darn the other weasel for prolonging our agony. Well before that sequence, however, the annual 24 burnout had set in. Now, to be fair, it's taken a lot longer to set in than usual, thanks to keeping the stupid C and D plots to a minimum and actually maintaining a sense of menace, surprise, and threats which, for the most part, have flowed well one to another. However, it's this same constant, breakneck pace that has worn me down; it's the same principle that made me grow tired of Goodkind's Sword of Truth books: there was never any sense of rest, no respite from impending doom, just characters careening head first from one disaster into the next. I need to have a sense that the characters experience at least some brief moments of carefree joy between threats, otherwise I just get worn out.

3 comments:

Redneck Diva said...

This week it was Tater who, in a scary precog kind of way, said, "He's gonna kill her. He's been brainwashed." Then 2 seconds later, AnaLucia was dead-dead-deadsky.

I spent 2 1/2 hours last night scouring message boards, Lost fansites and thehansofoundation.org.

I
Am
Pathetic

Andrea said...

Was it 2, 3, 4 (more??) episodes of 24 in which Jack "had" to murder, maim and hijack to get the recording only to have it erased in 15 seconds? Does it appear to anyone else that maybe the writers needed some filler?

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Diva: You will receive no judgments here for scouring message boards and the like; this is a TV addict friendly zone.

Andrea: Like I told Tate, I was too bummed over President Weasel not pulling the trigger that the easy destruction of the tape after so much hassle didn't even register. While I agree that the tape search seems to be just so much filler, at least it was compelling filler, which previous seasons didn't always provide. Plus, the hunt for the tape, while not totally successful, did help others start to realize that President Weasel was up to no good. So, annoying, yes, but not "Kim and the cougar" level annoying.