Monday, November 05, 2007

Movie Mon. - 30 Days of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Extremely slow movie-watching week for me, although I did make it to the actual theater for the first time in months.

30 Days of Night: Adaptation of the IDW comic book about a small Alaskan town which is beset by vampires during its winter month of no sunlight. I had been looking forward to this one for quite a while, so my expectations were probably a bit too high; plus, I was operating on only four hours of sleep, and it was a later showing, so I would probably have had a hard time staying awake for most movies. So, it's hard for me to say if the glacial opening pace of the film was a bad thing in general, or just a bad thing for me that night; all I know is that I was in more danger of nodding off during this than Li'l Random, and that boy is borderline narcoleptic. There were some good scare moments, some of the vamp effects were uber-creepy, and Ben Foster was great as the creepy Renfield-esque harbinger of vampiric doom. Still, the uneven plotting and over-abundance of quick-cut action sequences left me feeling like the film wasted a lot of its potential . . . but, seeing as that's sort of how I felt about the comic as well, perhaps it was a sterling adaptation after all . . .

0 comments: