Monday, November 14, 2005

That's My Queue!

As most of you are probably aware of by now, I am a big fan of Netflix; my rental queue must be weeded periodically to make sure I don't hit the upper limit of 500 titles. Now, I know that sounds like a lot of DVDs, and that's because it is; however, nearly half of the DVDs in my queue are ones which haven't even been released yet; every time I hear about an upcoming movie that sounds interesting, I jot the title down in a Word document, and periodically I search Netflix to see if it's available to be put in my queue; it's just my way of trying to ensure that intriguing titles don't slip through the cracks of my increasingly spotty memory. Now, in the past I've kept track of the titles that I added and sent them in an email to Rebel Monkey, but I thought I'd go ahead and just turn it into a semi-regular post, since I know there are several blog monkeys out there who partake of Netflix or a similar service; maybe one of these titles will jump out at you and make you think "Oh, yeah, gotta get that!" Or, maybe this will be a complete and total waste of my time; odds are pretty even on that one, I think. Still, the idea has been planted, and so I shall not be dissuaded!

Now, on to the queue!

Now, when I used to send the list to Rebel Monkey, I would usually just send the titles themselves; but since I have been accused by certain parties who shall remain nameless (and Eeeeeeeeevil . . . nameless and Eeeeeeeeevil) of posting stuff just to be posting it, I figured I'd try to give just a little info about each one to give you a better idea of why you may or may not want to check it out; at the least, it'll give you a better idea of why I want to check it out.

Again: these are primarily items which have not yet been released on DVD; most of the movies haven't even come out at the theater yet.

Halloween 9: Not much to say here, it's the 9th installment in a never-ending horror franchise; I'll be watching it out of sheer inertia.

Munich: Upcoming Steven Spielberg film about the terrorist activities during the 1972 Olympics in Munich, featuring Eric Bana, Geoffrey Rush and (according to Netflix, but not IMDB) Emma Caulfield.

Ringer: Johnny Knoxville comedy about trying to rig the Special Olympics; when I first heard about this, I had no desire to see it, but have to admit, the latest trailer made me laugh out loud several times.

Aeon Flux: Both the live action film starring Charlize Theron and the full animated series box set, which includes several other Liquid Television shorts as bonus features.

For Your Consideration: Latest mockumentary from Christopher Guest, the mastermind behind Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind, the target this time is Indie filmmakers.

Date Movie: A spoof of romantic comedies which mainly gets in the queue because it stars Allyson Hannigan.

The Notorious Bettie Page: Biopic featuring Gretchen Mol as Bettie Page

Home Movies Season 3: Off-beat animated series which I enjoy quite a bit, but didn't discover till right before it was yanked from the Adult Swim regular rotation.

Gargoyles Season 2: One of the best American animated series around; the amount of subplots and story arcs involved were pretty much unheard of for the time it was made; looking forward to finally being able to watch it all in order.

Once Upon a Mattress: One of those "classic" musicals I've never seen, this version features Tracy Ulman, Carol Burnett, and Zooey Deschanel.

I Love Your Work: Giovanni Ribissi, who has become one of my favorite actors, as a movie star losing his grip on reality.

Solitude: One of those cases where I have no idea where I first heard about the film, or what it was that made me go "that sounds interesting": still, it was on the list, so it goes in the queue. Described as a "dark comedy", so that bodes well.

Tears of Kali: German horror film that got some positive press on AICN a while back.

Creep: Another German horror film, this one starring Franka Potente of Run Lola Run fame; the trailers for this one looked nice and creepy.

That’s it for my latest queue additions. But as long as we’re here, don’t forget about some of the new DVD releases coming out tomorrow:

The Skeleton Key
Happy Endings
Madagascar
Stealth

And, last but not least, the movie that’s currently number 2 in my queue (R. Kelly’s Trapped in the Closet is number 1, of course) . . .

The Gingerdead Man: From the Netflix blurb:

Evil never tasted so good! When Sarah Leigh (Robin Sydney) testifies against three murderers in a death penalty case, she never expects them to return to life in the form of delicious desserts. But that's exactly what happens when their cremated ashes accidentally fall into a batch of batter and are baked into a trio of gingerbread men. Now, the adorable yet evil cookies will stop at nothing to find the woman who sent them to the electric chair.
How can you pass that up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen lots of really bad movies with Johnny Knoxville in them.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I tried to warn you about Dukes of Hazard, but would you listen? Nooooooooooo.